CTAC brought a critical legacy system from multiple outages a month to zero unscheduled outages by re-architecting for the cloud.
NHTSA’s (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) mission statement revolves around saving lives, preventing injuries, and reducing vehicle-related crashes.
CTAC has been supporting NHTSA within the Department of Transportation since 2016.
CTAC has been supporting NHTSA with Cloud infrastructure and IT system modernization and transformation across some of its most critical IT projects.
- Developed a modern, public-facing Application Programming Interface (API) for the NHTSA recall tracking system.
- Replaced the legacy system with a new system aggregating data from multiple sources to put ratings, recall, and manufacturer communication data for vehicles, car seats, tires, and other equipment into a single, searchable system.
- Architected the new system ground-up for the Cloud, leveraging industry standard AWS services to reduce infrastructure costs, improve reliability, flexibility, performance, scalability, and security.
- Redesigned and deployed a web application from legacy on-premises servers to the AWS Cloud. The application is used by police officers across the country during DUI enforcement traffic violations. The responsive application allows certified Drug Recognition Experts to collect information in real-time on any device during traffic stops involving impaired driving.
- Leveraged auto-scaling, self-healing, and multi-AZ deployments.
- Handled an average load of >350 thousand requests per day, with load spikes of >2 million requests per day.